Friday, January 25, 2008

PyJaMa GurL - Puteri Shutakirti

Shutakirti is the cousin of Sita Devi in Ramayana. If anyone of you don't know what Ramayana is, look it up in Wikipedia.
Recently, i was selected to join a programme called JENESYS, which stands for Japan-East Asia Network of Exchange for Students and Youths.
In this programme, i get to visit tokyo and its hot tourists spot. I also spend 5 days in Hokkaido, experiencing my first snow fall and snowball fight, making traditional noodles and slippers. But best of all, i went there with 26 students from all around Brunei. All the 27 of us acts as junior ambassador of Brunei and are responsible for introducing brunei culture in Japan.
We prepared 4 performance for our cultural exchange, and the my favourite one is the Ramayana. It's a drama-dance based on the ancient story of Ramayana. We didn't really follow exactly like the original story. For example, according to the original, Sita Devi married Ramayana before she get kidnapped by the evil Ravanna...
Our Sita Devi married Ramayana after the kidnap!!
Then i decided to write out the Ramayana story according to our dance... Treat it as another version - JENESYS version (*Fact: Ramayana got many versions, one of it is Malay version with Hikayat Seri Rama*)
Well, i haven't gone mad yet. I just wanna write this new version for myself, not for publishing or other stuff.. or else i will get sued for copyright reasons... hehehe :)
To make it more hindu-like, i did some research... And I found out that I played Shutakirti in our JENESYS Ramayana dance!! Ahahaha, and i also found some more characters that my friends potrayed in our dance. In the end, i got a long list of hindu names with each character's signature and their weapons (for the boys, that is)
Finally, i understood the concepts of Ramayana!!
But I'm still not satisfied by the wikipedia story, because it was just a rough story of the real tale. I remembered that my sis love to keep old malay literature story. I asked her if she got Hikayat Seri Rama book (the Malay version of Ramayana). She does!!
So I got a book to read, story board to organize, names to make... and to my JENESYS friends yang kn membaca my Ramayana JENESYS version (if ada yg kn membaca plang tu) jgantah berharap cerita atu siap sekajap, I'm a very, very, very slow writer...
PATIENT IS A VIRTUE!!

No comments: